

Let me start out by saying that although this will be partly a gripe session, I truly do realize that I have SO much to be thankful for. I really do know that there are many many people who are WAY worse off than this. I am simply sharing with my friends the damage we incurred from Ike. Really I am very thankful that this is all we had (other than a few days without power). That Saturday morning--4 hours into the power outage--Jason came in and told me we had water coming in. Sure enough--I went to the bathroom and saw water falling from the light fixture! That was a mighty scary sight and I must admit I know little about electricity. I do know one thing though--and that is that water and electricity don't mix. Jason took the globe off and it was full of water. It continued to leak from the empty light fixture. We were emptying our mop bucket every 10 minutes. He braved the terrible wind to walk outside and take a look and saw that the wind had blown some shingles off and somehow torn a hole in our roof. We waited until the wind subsided and he covered it with a tarp as best he could. We still had wet carpet in the bathroom and even somehow mysteriously in Jenna's room. Now--here comes the frustration. We still have not heard from our insurance company that someone will come out and look so we can get started on repairs. On Friday a nice lady from FEMA came and gave me some paperwork. She told me we qualify for the Blue Roof Program (where the Army Corps of Engineers will come and install a temporary roof to provide protection from any further damage until an adjuster looks at it). So this should be good news--right?! I came in and immediately called the number. I have to sign a Rite of Entry to allow them on our property. The closest site at which to do this is in Montgomery County! Not only that, but I cannot get in contact with a real live person to tell me if we can do it by fax. UGH!! But--I am still very thankful that we still have a house to repair and that none of us were injured. I did learn that I take a great deal for granted!!!
By the way--please pardon the back posts, but I am so excited to have a blog I was ready to post something. I did obviously figure out my picture problem, so stay tuned for pics of my upcoming projects!!



5 comments:
Ok Jill you are learning well and really amking up for lost time!!! Now I get to stalk you blog!! :) Love you long time!!!
I ment to say MAKING!!! Duh. Atleast now you have to comments!:)Hee hee
I ment to say TWO! Duh afain. Im going to bed!!
3 comments makin ya feel good????
well hello! i thought that might have been you!! i hate to hear that you had damage from the storm! i know how frustrating it can get not being able to talk to a real person! see you tonight!
Welcome to blogland! I see that you got your pics up! Yahoo!!! This is a great way to journal all that takes place in your family and keep in touch with family and friends!! Glad you got it figured out!
Post a Comment